I want to shed some light on the whole I’m not getting clients conversation. If you don’t have clients or aren’t attracting customers into your business right now you are probably feeling all the feels. Failure. Demotivated. Is it worth it and a ton more in the pity party.
Today I want to break this down for you and tell you what I wish someone had told me when I was in my own pity party. I’ll tell you why you aren’t getting clients and then I’ll give you a plan on how you can get clients.
1. Know your clients story
You have probably heard this before but I mean have you really heard it. I highly recommend you checking out this website from Donald Miller - Story Brand. His framework follows the idea of a story. When we talk to our clients dow we know;
- What do they want
- What is their problem
- What is the success they will feel once they solve their problem
- What is the final transformation
Here’s a little self tester for whether you really do know your clients story…
- Do you struggle for content for your blog or Instagram captions
- When someone asks you what you do are you clear and concise of vague
- If I asked you right now what you do for your clients could you answer me?
On the website I have given you above he gives you a really clear template to follow that you can complete for your own business but BEFORE you do that, you really need to go and ask your clients a few questions so you can hear it in their words. Don’t want to do the research because you feel like you already have - go back through your intake or testimonials and use those words. It is SO important that you follow this step and don’t guess it though. You may think your thing is xyz but when you read back through you might see a totally different pattern.
Critical step - know their problem and know the solution you give.
2. The Power of Patience and the handshake my friend.
Desperation stinks… I know because I’ve been there before too friend. You are excited about your offering and excited to be putting yourself out in the world so why isn’t everyone else as well. THEY DON’T KNOW YOU.
I cannot put it any more simple than that. If you had a goal to be hooked up in a relationship and were to going out on a date - would you learn a little bit more about your date before you went to the next step? Yes you would…
So start handshaking and introducing yourself to the world. Who are you, because we want to see you - and I mean really who are you. Don’t tell me the shit you think I want to hear, I want to learn more about you.
So here’s some tips for handshaking on social media;
- Do you have 3 - 4 things that you are passionate about outside your business? If you follow me you will see I love travel, food, tongue in cheek quotes (I want to scream on the inspirational ones) and pretty things be it fashion or home decor. Notice how you are learning something about me?
- Let’s say you talk about those 3-4 things every day and then your business thing on the 4th or 5th day. Follows the marketing concept of 80:20.
Prime and prepare your audience and serve, serve, serve - give value and get to know them.
3. A Marketing Plan.
It’s time to get intentional and stop the BS excuses as to why you can’t. If you feel like you cannot possibly create out a plan or schedule for your marketing - then I encourage you to go back to Step 1 and know your client.
The best Marketing Plan is really a client attraction plan and you can swipe my plan and ideas here
If you have all of the above nailed but are still not getting clients then something is not quite right and I would encourage you to find someone to help you bring it all together. Find out about working with me here.